Insuring Your Holiday Home/rental

Published: Saturday 19th Dec 2015

Written by: Jackie Forsyth

Why you need a specialist insurance provider for your holiday property?

What would you do if your holiday home was flooded, targeted by thieves, damaged by fire or storm, or vandalised? Without suitable insurance in place, you could be left to stand the bill for repairs and valuable replacements and lose rental income.

Specialist holiday home insurance needs to provide comprehensive insurance cover for your UK holiday property, cottage or apartment. Tailor-made policies that suit you and discounts to keep your premium low are also important.

When insuring a holiday home it’s essential to choose a policy that offers more than standard household cover. If you hire out your property you’ll need specific cover for this, as well as to protect you against damage caused by guests or pets. You may also want cover for loss of rental income.

There will be times when the holiday home is left unoccupied – it could be a long time a leaking pipe or a theft is discovered and so it’s important you understand your insurance cover.

Leisuredays is a family-run business, open 7 days a week, and provides a specialist policy for holiday homes, with the reassurance of cover backed by leading UK Insurer – Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. Below is their checklist of their benefits and levels of cover to make sure your investment is protected.

Leisure Days can offer:

  • Extensive cover for your holiday home
    Peace of mind with cover for fire, theft, storm, flood and malicious damage
  • Automatic new for old cover
    Buildings up to £500,000 rebuild cost (not market value) and £40,000contents as standard
  • 24 hour claims helpline
    Help always on hand to make sure your claim is handled quickly and fairly
  • £2,000 short term alternative accommodation costs
    Sleep easy knowing you and your pets will be safe if your holiday home cannot be lived in
  • Malicious damage and theft by guests
    Replacing or repairing your holiday home and contents if they are damaged or stolen
  • Debris removal cover
    Cover to clear and dispose of any debris following a claim
  • £80,000 loss of rent
    Substantial cover to make sure you don’t lose rental income in the event of a claim
  • Legal expenses up to £100,000
    If you get into a dispute or need help evicting squatters, you’ll get help to defend your legal rights
  • £5 million public liability cover
    Protection from the costs of accidents, injuries or damage you are legally responsible for
  • Optional accidental damage cover
    Protection to cover you or your guests from accidents like spilling wine on a carpet

PLUS pet damage option, generous unoccupied terms, £750 locks and keys cover, £2,000 cover for items kept outside, £1,000 business money cover and an excess from £100.

If you own more than one holiday home, Leisuredays can cover up to four properties under one policy, they even provide extra discounts for each property you insure, so the more holiday lets you own, the more you could save on your insurance!

More complex property portfolios can be referred to their partner company Wilby Ltd, who are Chartered Insurance Brokers and have a wide variety of Property Owner facilities available.

Leisuredays can be contacted on 0800 433 4989  or visit the Leisuredays holiday home insurance page for more information.

Jackie Forsyth



Return to blog article index