- £491 per week
- £70 per night
- 4 Guests
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Pets
- 2 Bathrooms
- Private Parking
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 4 single Zip&Link beds
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- 2 bathrooms
- 2 WCs
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Travel cot
- Open fire or woodburner
- Welcome pack
- Countryside views
- Pony trekking/horse riding
- Garden, courtyard or patio
- Enclosed garden
- Outdoor storage
- On one level, no stairs
- Ground floor bedroom
- Ground floor bath/shower room
- Walk-in shower
Important - please note
- Check in: 16:00
- Check out: 10:00
- height restriction on car port (no cars with top boxes, or vans) but other parking can be arranged.
- As some bedrooms at this property offer flexible bed configurations (see property description) please ensure you state your preferences in the booking note field of the website booking page so that the housekeeper can prepare the property for your arrival.
A recent conversion of The Old Cartshed here at Stay Northumbria HQ. Located on the edge of North Sunderland, in a tranquil setting between Seahouses and Bamburgh, the cottage is only about half a mile walk from Seahouses beach or a 15-20 minute walk or short drive from the centre of Seahouses village. Its location is close enough to enjoy all the village amenities - shops, restaurants, pubs and the harbour with trips to the Farne Islands, yet provides a peaceful retreat at the end of the day.
Originally the open-sided stone built shed where farmers have kept their carts and farm machinery since the 1830's, now fully refurbished and extended, The Cartshed offers luxury accommodation in a very traditional style - no boutique furniture, geometric designs or psychedelic colour schemes here. We offer an open plan lounge/kitchen/dining area with vaulted ceilings and beams, a huge gable window with double doors leads onto the south-facing enclosed walled patio courtyard. Stone flag floors, and traditional rustic furnishings offer a warm welcome, along with every modern convenience tucked away behind the traditional kitchen units. Two lovely bedrooms offer sleeping for 4, one room is ensuite with shower and the bed can be made up as a super king double or a twin, the other is a king size double or twin, with use of the family bathroom via Jack 'n Jill bedroom door, bath with shower over. Water heating is solar powered, heating is underfloor and we have a traditional wood burning stove for cosy winter breaks. Two off-road parking spaces are offered.
From the Car port enter the property into the stone flagged entrance hall which leads to all other rooms.
- Good range of floor and wall units with ample work surface and storage
- A mix of granite and solid wood worksurfaces.
- Electric range oven with ceramic hob
- Good range of quality pans and cookware
- Excellent range of Crockery, cutlery, glasses etc for up to 6 persons, allowing for day guests
- Nespresso Pixie machine
- Dishwasher (8 place setting)
- Thermos flask, picnicware and coolbox
The Cartshed has an open plan living area which includes a dedicated dining space with drop leaf table and 4 dining chairs.
Lounge & Living area
The Cartshed has an open plan living area, which incorporates
- Lovely spacious lounge area with beamed ceiling and wrought iron ceiling lights
- Stone flag floors throughout.
- Rustic leather sofas,
- Coffee table,
- Log burning stove,
- Wall mounted TV, &
- Traditional pine furniture.
- Four velux roof lights provide excellent light
- Glass gable end window has double door access to lovely suntrap courtyard (gated) with barbecue and table & chairs for alfresco dining and relaxation.
- 1 Kingsize bedroom, will be made as kingsize but can be made up as twins on request. Jack 'n' Jill access to family bathroom. Bright airy room with window to front of property.
- 1 Superking size/twin room with ensuite shower-room bright airy room with window to front of property with velux roof window to rear.
- Family bathroom - bath with shower over, WC and WHB.
- 40 inch wall mounted flat screen TV in lounge
- Both bedrooms have wall mounted flat screen TVs
- DVD player
- Ipod Dock
- Internet Access is via a wireless mobile phone network. There is a fair usage policy in operation, so if you are likely to be using a lot of download please contact us to make special provision for this.
Double door access from living area to lovely suntrap courtyard (gated) with barbecue and table & chairs for alfresco dining and relaxation.
What's Included for your Stay @ the Cartshed
- Bedding (duvets per bed & 2 pillows per person)
- Bed linen
- Towels (hand & bath sheet per person, plus bathroom hand towels)
- kitchen towel
- Oven glove
- Wall mounted 40"+ TV with Freeview Channels & DVD in lounge
- Each bedroom has wall mounted TV with Freeview.
- Underfloor heating
- Solar hot water
- October-March initial supply of logs, kindling & matches.
- Welcome pack: tea, coffee (ground + intro Nespresso pod selection) sugar, milk and a sweet treat.
- K9 welcome pack if you have booked your dog
- Internet access - via a wireless mobile phone network. There is a fair usage policy in operation, so if you are likely to be using a lot of download please contact us to make special provision for this.
- Parking for up to 2 cars in covered car port (max height 70")
What can be arranged for your Stay @ the Cartshed
some charges may apply
- Well behaved dogs welcome (up to 2) @ £25.00 per dog per week or part thereof
- Travel Cot (please provide your own cot linen and towels (with standard thin travel cot mattress)
- High Chair
- Plastic dog Bed
- Dog Duvet -
- Dog cage - medium or large first served basis.
Facilities for Children
- The Cartshed has limited facilties for young children
- The floors are all stone flagged
- A travel cot and high chair can be hired
- There are plenty of indoor games supplied
Bringing Your Dog on Holiday
The Cartshed welcomes well behaved dogs. When you book you will be asked to provide some information about your pet which will aide the owner in ensuring that the property is set up to welcome them.
A bit of K9 ettiquette should be observed during your stay:-
- Your pet should not be left in the property unattended (unless crated - crates can be hired)
- Your pet should not be allowed in the bedrooms or on furniture
- On booking for your pet, you are confirming that it is fully up to date on its flea treatment.
- This owner provides a K9 welcome pack - dog bowl (water & food), floor mat, dog towel
The following can be hired -
- Dog duvet
- Plastic dog bed
- Dog crate medium
- Dog crate large
Special Notes & Conditions
• Bedrooms will be made up as doubles unless specifically requested.
• Low Occupancy Discount - 1 bedroom option for 2 persons; 1st November-Easter excluding Christmas, New Year and school holidays.
• Well behaved dogs welcome (up to 2) @ £25.00 each per week or part thereof.
I’ve lost track the number of times we have stayed at The Old Cartshed over the last four years! We absolutely love it as do the Beagles it’s as much a doggy holiday for them. This was our first full week and we had such a relaxing time. The weather was mixed but we had 5 fairly good days! The Cartshed is very peaceful, homely and relaxing with super comfy beds. The kitchen is very well equipped. Close by( short car drive) you have plenty of amenities in Seahouses including a large Co-Op. Highly recommend it!
Amazing love this place feels like home from home. This was our 4th visit carnt wait until our next stay. The only reason we put good for comfort is because the bed and pillows are too hard for us but hay this is been picky and as I have pointed out we have already booked our 5th visit. I would highly recommend the cart shed to anyone an we do. Thank you for our amazing stay
This has been the best equipped and comfortable cottage we have stayed in, in the 4 years we have been staying in Northumbria, great doggie gift bag and bowels and towels supplied for dogs, only little downside is the small courtyard for the dogs but the beautiful beach is close by.
13th stay at the Cartshed, pretty much says it all. We really enjoy the peace, tanquillity and location. We are close to where we like to be with very short car journeys to spread our wings a bit further. If we want a lazy day, the Cartshed has all the amenities we want. The small, enclosed and gated back yard, means our new dog, Logan, can wander in and out safely, and as this appears to face southerly, it is bit of a suntrap for us to sit out. This place suits us down to the ground.
This was our first stay at The Old Cart Shed and we weren't disappointed. The property was just perfect - everything had been thought of, from the provision of dishwasher and laundry tablets to the toiletries in the bathrooms and lots of towels. The property was warm when we arrived on a cold February afternoon and although there was a small log burning stove we only used it once as we just didn't need it. Notwithstanding, there was a massive basket of logs and some kindling if we had. The location was perfect. The property isn't in the middle of nowhere and it isn't quite clear from the photographs but there are properties to each side and opposite. However, the Cart Shed isn't overlooked or attached so it was perfectly quiet save for the odd car on the road outside. There was ample parking for two cars and bins right next to the parking area. All the lights outside worked and there were very detailed descriptions of how everything worked in a folder inside the property. From reading the visitors book it is clear that lots of people return here year after year and I can see why. Marvellous!
We’ve stayed a number of times now and keep going back....because there is nothing to fault the property!!
stayed at this property several times feels like coming home a lovely property in an ideal location close to seahouses but nice and quiet
had an excellent holiday away form the fireworks for Guy Fawks, can honestly stay that the standards of accommodation are first class one of the best self catering units we have stayed in. very impressed with the amount of utensils supplied the attention to detail was very impressive, the best i have encountered, every thing catered for. can highly recommend this venue The Lauders Sheffield
I am now losing count of the times we have stayed at the "Cartshed". For us, the location is perfect, being a reasonable walk away from the beach, which allows the dogs to dry off before we get back. It is a central location whic means that nothing is too far away. Morpeth and Anwick are available for bigger supermarkets and shops, Holy Island is within easy range and all the wonderful beaches from bamburgh to Amble are also within easy car range. The cottage itself is comfortable, warm and well appointed. The southerly facing aspect of the courtyard at the rear makes it ideal for sitting out and the dogs are safe to wander in and out. All in all, a wonderful cottage.
The Cartshed was excellent. It was very clean and the facilities were everything we could have wanted. The welcome packs for both us humans and the dogs were well thought out and useful. The location as advertised, was very close to St Aiden’s beach, three minutes in the car or a 30 min walk and the surrounding area was very quiet and peaceful. Seahouses and the boat trips to the Farne Islands is a very short drive away and the car parks are free for the first hour so easy to pop in for a bit of shopping. Walking to Bamburgh can be done from the house and Lindisfarne can be reached in a short time. The information pack in the Cartshed is one of the best we have seen. It covered every question and was easy to reference. It even gave the tide times for the causeway to Lindisfarne. Also,the aspect of the Cartshed with its large west facing windows sheltered by a courtyard wall made the house feel very warm and cosy. The sunrise from St Aiden’s beach is well worth the early rise. We would certainly like to return - it felt like a home from home.
An excellently presented "cottage". The Cartshed is a very welcoming holiday home from the moment you park up. It is well presented and well appointed. It is warm and cosy, with nice decor, the underfloor heating being a great boost ensuring a constant temperature throughout. It was also nice to have access to ventilation when required through the electric Velux windows and other windows. Being on one level it is well suited to less mobile people with the It is situated near to Sea Houses where you can secure most things in clean pleasant shops. There is a wealth to see within a relatively short distance. The real test of any holiday home is would you we revisit- "we plan to...". Northumberland cottages staff are also very helpful and thoughtful.
Carrtshed was a very comfortable/clean and well stocked holiday stay. The area was quiet yet easily accessible to all the main local places of interest - would recommend and would certainly consider staying in the future
The Old Cartshed is perfect for fabulous dog walks along the beautiful Northumberland beaches plus fantastic visits to the Farne Islands - perfect time of year and some excellent restaurants nearby .
What another comfortable stay at the Old Cart Shed, exactly 12 months on from the last one. The three of us had a fantastic week, shame the clouds never lifted from Tuesday onwards. The Cottage was comfortable as ever and in a perfect quiet location with just a 20 minute walk into Seahouses, using the old Railway Line. My son also loved watching the cheeky Chicken coming into the garden for food. We feel that Howick Hall Gardens is a must see, the gardens are lovely and bigger than what we thought. Also The Ship at Low Newton is good visit for a cheeky pint or two and the food looked lovely too.
It's a nice place, all the décor and fixtures are in great condition. The location is pleasant and rural, about a mile to the beach down a quiet lane. No complaints.
This was our third stay at The Old Cartshed, it’s beginning to feel like a second home! A great deal of thought has gone into making the cottage work as a holiday home, everything you need is there. And, if it isn’t, you just pop next door to the office and the lovely staff make it happen. Nothing is too much bother. We, and our two dogs love it. From the lovely welcome pack left for us and the dogs, the cleanliness and quality of both indoor and outdoor spaces and the proximity to beaches and to Seahouses, it really is a great place to stay.
It was our first time to Northumberland, and we couldn’t have wished for a better time. The Cartshed was a wonderfully warm, cosy and extremely comfortable home from home. Everything was catered for and there wasn’t one thing left out. Very well thought through. The location is excellent for the beach at Seahouses, which was a haven for our dogs, and Banbrugh was a stones throw away. I would thoroughly recommend a stay at the CartShed
Facilities are excellent and although the weather was very cold this stay, it did not stop us in the least. the location is perfect for us, We actually got to use the log burner this stay. We have booked again already, which I feel says enough. We love the Cartshed and feel it is perfect place to stay in this wonderful area.
We stayed at the Old Cartshed a year ago which was the first time we’d visited Northumberland and decided to go back on account of the accommodation we’d enjoyed so much. Whilst we didn’t get the good weather we had last time, being snowed in made for a relaxing week! The accommodation was every bit as good as previously, it’s clean, well appointed and most importantly warm. The bitter cold, snow and wind had no impact on the inside. The owners were helpful and understanding when we were faced with the possibility of needing to stay another day although in the end we were able to leave on time. Would still highly recommend this property and it’s owners.
Walking & Amenities:
- Just a mile into the centre of Seahouses on foot, and 2.5 to Bamburgh,
- Easy access to Seahouses and all its amenities, from the busy harbour where seating is provided so you can while away the hours watching the toings and froings of harbour life, or stretch your legs on the beautiful beaches which run North and South and are ideal for leisurely walks, or
- Try the 6 mile return beach walk to Bamburgh, or
- the 14 mile return journey to Newton by the Sea (great pub awaits for the mid walk break).
- Shops, butchers, bakers (no candlestick maker tho),
- Pubs & Restaurants,
- Petrol station,
- Takeaways (Italian, Indian, Chinese)
- Harbour where you can leave on excursions to visit the Farne Islands, to see Puffins (May to July), Grey Seals and many other species of birds. The area is popular with birdwatchers and photographers.
- Grace Darling Museum Bamburgh
- Bamburgh Castle (2.5 miles north) sits atop rocky outcrop overlooking the beach,
- 15 miles south Alnwick Castle and Garden a popular spot for those with green fingers, and Harry Potter fans (the castle was Hogwarts and the site of the quiddich pitch in the 1st two films
Travel and Access information:
- Alnmouth for Alnwick station is approx 15 miles south - a mainline station on the North East Coastal line with regular stops from London to Edinburgh
- Berwick upon Tweed approx 25 miles north - a mainline station on the North East Coastal line with regular stops from London to Edinburgh
- Buses run by Arriva and Travelsure stop in Seahouses itself the X15 and the X18 services run north and south along the coast from Berwick to Newcastle
- Newcastle International is approx 50 miles south,
- Edinburgh Airport is approx 90 miles north
- Both airports have daily internal flights from a number of UK locations, and international flights on a regular basis.
- Car hire is available from both airports.
- Seahouses is situated on Sustrans Coast and Castles Route 1 and is a popular stopping point.
Check out our Blog for information on nearby villages, events and things do do when holidaying in Northumberland.