Bocca Chica is hidden away at the end of an old farm road lies a small group of houses the furthest being Boca Chica Cottage. It stands proud on the edge of a wide expanse of beach at the mouth of the Wansbeck River, overlooking the little known golden bay of Cambois.
The cottage takes its name from an old area name in Cambois reportedly first used in 1745 by two sailors serving under Admiral Vernon (Duke of Newcastle) in the Carthagena War where one of the outposts was Boca Chica.
This is a property steeped in history and the area’s industrial past. Originally stables for wagon horses, it is thought to have housed ponies used in Cambois pit, also as servant’s quarters for the adjoining property and latterly used as a school house.
Owners Clair and Michael bought the adjoining stone house and buildings in 2014 and successfully converted the run down building into a holiday cottage.
The couple have put their own stamp on the building, carefully utilising as much of the original fabric as possible, and have managed to secure many local items to recycle in the build - from the old gym flooring rescued from a school demolition, to the handmade bricks to build the impressive feature chimney breast in the lounge, to the hefty ceiling beams foraged from a local beach.
The property is now a delight, bright and airy, with a clean modern finish enhanced by independently commissioned photography, depicting the immediate surrounds, and the recycled materials and furnishings which give the cottage its heritage.
- Originally stables for wagon horses
- On entering the arched stable opening you enter the open plan lounge and dining room
- The main hall also leads to the back door
- Modern galley kitchen
- Ceramic hob and oven
- Washing machine
- Open plan lounge and dining room
- Wooden table and 4 chairs
- 2 seater leather sofa
- Open plan lounge and dining room
- Comfortably furnished with leather suite
- Flat screen TV
- Log burning stove sits in the reconstructed fireplace
- Handmade staircase provides access to the relaxed reading area/children’s den above the lounge area
- 2 double bedrooms
- Both well furnished with king size beds (one of which can be made into twin beds on request)
- Each bedroom has a wardrobe and set of drawers
- Large shower/wet room is accessed from the main hall
- Main hall leads to the back door and the well laid out nautically themed garden beyond
- This has been completely refurbished, retaining many of the mature bushes and trees
- The property now has direct beach access to the beach from the garden (steps).
- Secure enclosed courtyard
- All bedding, bed linen and towels
- Full central heating
- Initial logs & kindling for the log burner - more can be purchased from the owners on site
- Smart TV with Freeview x 2
- Wi-fi in main living area
- Selection of board games, books, dvd’s and CD’s, plus a host of information about the area
- A generous welcome pack awaits your arrival
- Selection of toiletries are supplied
- A full inventory can be provided on request
- Cot and High Chair can be provided free of charge on request. (Sorry cot linen is not provided)
- Dog bowl if you have booked your dog
- Storage for leisure gear can be pre-arranged ie. Cycles, kayaks, golf clubs etc
Travel Cot and High Chair can be provided free of charge on request. (Sorry cot linen and towel for infant is not provided)
Boca Chica welcomes well behaved dogs (up to 3) @ £25.00 per dog per week or part thereof. When you book you will be asked to provide some information about your pet which will aide the owner in ensuring that the property is set up to welcome them.
A dog bowl is provided.
A bit of K9 etiquette should be observed during your stay:-
- Your pet should not be left in the property unattended (unless crated - crates can be hired - see what can be arranged on the main description tab)
- Your pet should not be allowed in the bedrooms or on furniture
- On booking for your pet, you are confirming that it is fully up to date on its flea treatment.
View and/or download the Stay Northumbria’s
Northumberland Dog Friendly Pub Guide
Notes and Special Conditions
• The property has access to the beach (20m) so children and dogs should be well supervised whilst in the garden and beach areas.
The secure enclosed Courtyard is suitable for dogs.
• There is a charge of £25.00 per dog per week or part thereof.
• An enhanced welcome pack including breakfast items for your first morning can be added to your booking - £15.00 for 2 people, £20 for 4 people.
• Whilst this is predominantly a single storey property, with all main rooms at ground floor level, there are some steps into and inside the property where changing levels ie one step froom the main hall to the shower room & one of the bedrooms. Please see our access statement for details.
There are currently no special offers for this property.